What Makes the Perfect Pavement?
Asphalt pavement has long been used for driveways and private roads. It offers many advantages to private property owners and has become a popular option around the country. And that’s no surprise. Asphalt pavement is safe because of its high skid resistance, especially for driveways and is cost-effective when compared to the alternatives.
What makes the perfect pavement?
How can you make sure that your contractor is installing the perfect pavement? Well, not to worry, in this article, we will give you tips and essential information about asphalt paving so you know what to look for when hiring, and watching to assure the job is done properly.
The Benefits of Asphalt Pavement
Whether a new driveway or repairing old, cracked drives, asphalt paving offers many benefits. It is durable, flexible, cheaper to maintain and easier to install than concrete (saving you money),
Here are some of the befits that you will get from asphalt:
- Cost-Effective. From the materials used in the aggregate to the finished surface, asphalt paving is very cost-effective and saves money in the long run. Asphalt is less expensive than using concrete. And since it can be installed faster, you also save on labor costs. The asphalt repair and maintenance costs are also less than when you have concrete pavement.
- Durable and Flexible. Asphalt paving is perfect for any driveway because it can stand a lot of wear and tear. So, even with all the traffic coming in and out of your driveway, you don’t have to worry about premature cracking and breaking. Asphalt can also withstand salt and other chemicals that your car’s tires might pick up on the highways. While providing a smoother surface, asphalt is also suitable for various temperatures.
- Smooth and Quiet. Asphalt pavements are known for having uniform and smoother surfaces. Thus, you can enjoy a safer drive along your private roads. Also, since asphalt absorbs rather than reflects sounds, you will have a quieter pavement and enjoy reduced noise pollution on your property.
- Easy Repair and Installation. Compared to concrete, asphalt pavement is relatively easy to repair and install. Small cracks and holes can quickly be filled with new asphalt, or you can do resurfacing on larger holes. Installation is also speedy and doesn’t need a lot of preparation. Hence, it is ideal when you need to use your driveway immediately.
How to Get the Best Asphalt Pavement
Now that you know the benefits of getting asphalt pavement and you’ve decided to get one for your new driveway or private road, here are some tips on you can get the best and high-quality paving:
- Do your research and plan. In any paving work, whether big or small, the planning phase is one of the most crucial. Set aside enough time to do the planning before actual construction begins – you may need to revise your plan several times. Start by measuring and calculating exactly how much asphalt you will need given the surface square footage and depth needed. The depth may vary depending on the levelness of the ground along with what may need to be removed prior the installation.
If you’re a homeowner, the measurement you need to perform is surface-based only. The contractor will perform the rest of the calculations. When looking to hire a company, research the best asphalt contractors in your area. Check Google reviews, look the company up on your local government business directory and ask around for the best-rated contractors in your area.
- Talk to your contractor. In every project whether a private road or asphalt driveway, it is very important to communicate your wishes to the contractor and assure the plans you have are stacking up with the asphalt company’s plan. Establishing a good flow of communication with everyone is advisable if you want a smoother process. This also reduces the risks of having problems with the result.
- Proper equipment and the right tools. Hire a contractor who can provide appropriate equipment and use the right tools while working on the project. Ensure that each piece of equipment is correctly set up to avoid accidents and project delays.
- Project speed and consistency. Hire a reliable contractor with a good record of speed and consistency. Long-lasting asphalt pavement is achieved with the correct and consistent mix, temperature, and even roller pattern. Proper speed is also necessary to achieve uniform mat.
- Well-trained. A reliable and professional asphalt paving professional should be well-trained. Make sure to hire a contractor with years of experience who can show the results of past projects for reference.
Keys to Long-Lasting Pavement
Surface preparation along with many other key factors is essential for long-lasting asphalt pavement. Without proper ground preparation, even the best quality asphalt paving cannot ensure long-lasting results. Here are some keys to having asphalt pavement that lasts for years:
- Mix design. Depending on the location, an optimum mix design for asphalt pavement should be considered. It would help to look at one that maximizes performance and durability.
- Thickness vs. aggregate size. Discuss with your contractor the ratio between lift thickness and aggregate size that’s perfect for your driveway or private road project.
- Consistent density. Without proper density, asphalt pavement will have poor performance. You don’t want that to happen and waste your money and time.
Asphalt paving is the perfect solution for you, whether it’s a commercial or residential driveway. It is both economical and eco-friendly. When done right, asphalt lasts for a very long time – making it the perfect pavement.
Looking to hire a professional asphalt company in Largo, Fl?
It’s interesting that you mention that asphalt pavement has very good longevity. I would like my new home to have a driveway that will last for a long time without needing to be replaced, so I’m considering hiring a residential paving company to add an asphalt driveway to it this spring. I’m going to search for a good paving company that offers asphalt installation services near me to hire.
My uncle’s investing in commercial properties next month, and he’s currently looking for landscaping and paving professionals. It’s good to know that we’d hire a contractor with the right equipment and tools to avoid accidents and project delays, so I’ll email this to my uncle now. Thank you for the advice on achieving the perfect pavement.